The Asia-Pacific Regional Support for Elections and Political Transitions (RESPECT), a program supported by USAID and is collaboratively carried out between the Indonesian Association for Media Development (PPMN) and Association of Election and Democracy (Perludem).
RESPECT is a multiyear program to support and improve the integrity and justice of elections in the Asia Pasific region. This year, PPMN with RESPECT organizes a Training on Data Journalism for Election Coverage.
To organize this activity, PPMN and Perludem also partnered with Sinar Project (Malaysia) and The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism-PCIJ (Philippines) as the institutions that participate in managing the data portal, www.datatalk.asia. Through this portal, journalists in the Southeast Asia region are expected to be able to cover elections more comprehensively based on the data.
Who are eligible to register?
- Active journalists who have worked for a minimum of three years in the Southeast Asia region.
- Understanding political and election issues in his country or other countries in the Southeast Asia region.
- Have basic knowledge of data journalism.
- Have basic computer software skills such as Microsoft Excel, Libre Office
When the training will be held?
This training will be held in four sessions online every Saturday for four weeks on April 24, May 1, May 8, and May 22, 2021.
What are the topics to be presented in the training?
Each session will last for a maximum of three hours. The topics that will be presented in this training include; Introduction of Journalism Data, How to Find Electoral Data for Coverage, How to Analyze Election Data, and Technique of Compiling Stories accompanied by visualization of election issues.
What do participants need to achieve from this training?
- Improving understanding of journalists in Southeast Asia regarding election issues and open data
- Enhancing data journalism capabilities for journalists in the Southeast Asia region
How will this training be conducted?
This training will carry the concept of interactive and hands-on even though it is conducted online. Participants will be invited to discuss during the discussion session, practicing with exercises, or by bringing issues in accordance with the context of elections that occur in their respective countries.
For further information please contact to email@example.com